Ah, Johnny Depp. He’s one of those actors that can take up any role. Captain Jack Sparrow? He aced it. Edward Scissorhands? Nailed it. And of course, can’t forget about Willy Wonka. You’d think that at 53, women would stop fawning over him and glance towards the younger actors? Think again.
If you want to fill yourself up with some trivia for tonight’s pub quiz, here are 15 super interesting facts about the one of the best actors in the world.
1. He changed homes more than 20 times as a kid
A lot of his early life consisted of moving around a lot, until eventually he and his family decided to settle in Miramar, Florida.
2. His wish to become a rockstar led him to drop out of school
He got his first guitar when he was 12, and instantly fell in love. It ultimately led to dropping out of high school.
3. His principal encouraged him to drop out.
After his parents forced him to go back to school, Depp’s principal encouraged him to follow his dreams. Shortly afterwards, he left for LA.
Look at that hair, though!
4. He stands well with Nicolas Cage
Cage is apparently the person who influenced Johnny to get into acting in the first place. Depp even offered to help Cage financially when he fell into some money troubles in 2007.
5. Even though he’s one of the highest paid male actors of all time, he has never won an Oscar.
As hard as that is to believe, it’s true. Depp has never won an Oscar, but he has been nominated several times.
6. He wears his Captain Jack Sparrow costume daily.
He explains that it’s because he enjoys surprising children at local hospitals. He apparently sneaks in and stays in character for up to three hours, just to entertain kids. How awfully nice of him.
7. He has quite a few tattoos, and some of them have been changed.
He used to have a tattoo of his ex-girlfriend Winona Ryder’s name, but due to a sour relationship he was forced to changed it. So, to show his love for wine, he changed it to “WINO FOREVER”.
8. He has affairs with Jimmy Kimmel.
Well, not really. It’s just that it’s a regular bit for Johnny Depp and Jimmy Kimmel to smooch each other’s lips whenever Johnny is on the guest spot.
9. He received a message from a little girl insisting that she needs help organizing a mutiny for her teacher.
And, of course he came to aid. As Jack Sparrow.
10. In an act of pure charity, he helped made sure that Heath Ledger’s daughter Matilda never struggles financially.
While filming The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Johnny convinced his co-stars Colin Farrell and Jude Law to put all their earnings from the movie towards a savings account for the late Heath Ledger’s daughter, to make sure she never struggles financially.
11. He vandalized a billboard… of himself.
He didn’t like the picture of his 21 Jump Street character, or the message the billboard held, so he decided to draw all over it. When security caught him in the act, they realized who he was and let him finish.
12. He actually adopted the horse he rode in Sleepy Hollow.
He found out that the horse was just going to be put down after filming, so he insisted that the owner let him adapt it.
13. He has been named Sexiest Man Alive twice!
Not a bad award to win more than once.
14. While Depp has been engaged multiple times, he’s only been married twice.
Amber Heard and Lori Anne Wilson. The latter was more than 30 years ago, but Amber… We remember that.
15. He has worked with Tim Burton in eight films.
These two have one of the most celebrated filmmaking relationships in all of Hollywood.
So, there you have it, some weird and interesting facts about Johnny Depp. Which one was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!
Also, while you’re down there in the comments, if you happen to know the exact location of Johnny Depp, drop that in there so I can go and steal his jawline.