How I Met Your Mother, often abbreviated as HIMYM, is one of the best-performing TV shows of all time.
It lasted nine years, from 2005 all the way to 2014. It stars a dad with what seems to be hyperthymesia (a condition that gives you extreme autobiographical memory) telling his kids the journey he and his four best friends went through to meet their mother.
I saw a few episodes of it, and they were… legendary. Sorry, I had to.
If you were a fan of the show too, then here are 17 awesome things that you didn’t know about How I Met Your Mother.
1. Ted Mosby, the hyperthymic dad had dated a whopping 29 women before he met the mother.
Reminds me of this one jerk I know in real life. Ted is only second to Barney, who had dated a pretty ridiculous 60 women.
2. Barney is a trained magician. So is the actor, Neil Patrick Harris.
3. Jim Parsons or Sheldon from TBBT auditioned for the role of Barney.
That would have been fun, to say the least.
And remember Robin Sparkles?
4. The song “Let’s Go To The Mall” by Robin Sparkles is actually available in the video game Just Dance 3.
So you can rock out with Canadian pop sensation who dressed in ’80s gear in the ’90s because in Canada the ’80s got there late.
5. The website names that got dropped on the show probably exist in real life, such as: www.canadiansexacts.org or www.stinsonbreastreduction.com.
Also, the website www.lilyandmarshallselltheirstuff.com was actually created for charity and items from the show were auctioned off.
6. The clock in Ted and Marshall’s apartment was always set at 4:20, but no one knew if it was AM or PM.
7. According to Google, “The Bro Code” only started being used in real life after the show started.
The Bro Code is apparently a list of rules that a man needs to follow to be considered a bro.
8. Jason Segel didn’t know that his character’s dad would die until Alyson Hannigan (Lily Aldrin) said the line on camera.
They only needed one take.
9. All of Ted’s kids’ reaction shots were filmed during the first season, in order to keep them throughout the whole series, including the final episode which involves the mother.
That means actors Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie had to film a bunch of reactions to be used throughout the show and even knew how the show would end.
Turns out that Marshall’s greatest accomplishment was actually done by Jason Siegel…
10. Like his character, Jason Segel actually won a high school slam dunk contest. Balling, dude.
11. Lily and Marshall rarely kissed because Jason Segel (Marshall) smoked way too much, and Alyson Hannigan (Lily) disliked the taste & smell of cigarettes, therefore asked not to kiss him on set.
They rarely did it.
12. The spouses and significant others of three of the main characters appeared on the show several times.
These include Alyson Hannigan’s husband played by Sandy Rivers, Blauman played by Cobie Smulders’ husband, and Scooter played by Neil Patrick Harris’ husband.
13. While everyone is eating Chinese food, Barney is always unable to eat with chopsticks.
He was successful only once in Season 7 at the Hibachi Grill Restaurant.
14. When Alyson Hannigan’s character won the hot dog contest, it was the only time when they showed her pregnancy on the show.
They used her future baby to show how much she had eaten.
15. The show ISN’T shot in front of a live studio audience because of the quick cut nature of the show.
Instead, the producers shoot the episode and show it to an audience, and we hear their reactions on TV.
16. In all of Barney’s fake statistics he would spout, the numbers 83, 8 or 3 were involved.
It’s because these are intertwined with everything in his life.
17. And the last one, even though Britney Spears and countless other celebrities showed up on this show, it was actually fashion designer Tim Gunn who got swarmed by the cast for autographs.
Didn’t expect that, did you?