Funny to think that some of the greatest and most beloved movies of all time ar actually directed by Tim Burton.
I mean, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman… These movies were all directed by him.
The 58-year-old Burbank, Cali born director has a unique dark, psychedelic and innovative style of directing movies that no other director so far has been able to replicate. He has so many ideas and insane fantasies, and he uses his movies to channel those fantasies through for the world to see, and honestly, that’s the best way possible to do it.
For those of you who love Tim Burton and his amazing movies, here are 17 really cool facts about the psychedelic film director.
1. He actually started out studying character animation at uni
2. He got his degree and it was worth it because he landed an animator’s apprenticeship with Walt Disney Studios
3. A few of his movies were actually inspired by drawings he made as a kid
This is the case for Edward Scissorhands and Jack Skellington, the main guy in The Nightmare Before Christmas. Frankenweenie meanwhile was based on a childhood dog that he had.
Source: The Red List
4. One of Tim’s favorite characters he has ever developed is Jack Skellington
Versions of him make cameos in other movies he has directed. Honestly, considering how Jack was also a lot of other people’s favorite, it’s not hard to see why he’s the director’s favorite too.
You can spot him in James and the Giant Peach, Alice in Wonderland, Coraline and Sleepy Hollow! It’s time to rewatch those movies!
Source: Movie Pilot
5. Even though he directed Planet of the Apes, Tim actually has a huge fear of chimpanzees!
“You don’t know whether chimps are going to kill you or kiss you. They’re very open on some levels and much more evil in a certain way.”
Source: Movie Hole
6. Before starting his work as a director, he made a couple of short films
Those two were Vincent and Frankenweenie, and they were released under Disney. They fired him shortly after, though, because they thought the short was too scary and dark for kids
7. Disney realized their mistake, and 30 years later hired him again to direct the full-length Frankenweenie movie
Source: Inside the Magic
8. When he was together with Helena Bonham Carter, they had to sleep in separate apartments
This is due to the fact that Carter simply couldn’t handle his snoring!
9. Tim saw Johnny Depp’s work on 21 Jump Street and realized he’d be perfect for the role of Edward Scissorhands
10. While he’s still not over his fear of chimps, Planet of The Apes is an important movie to him, as that’s where he met Helena Bonham Carter
Source: The Mirror
11. Tim was such a huge fan of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street that he saw the musical on Broadway three times!
Source: Gainesville Scene
12. It was tough to make Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Tim got into some fights with Warner Bros. due to them wanting Willy to be a father figure
(ADD AN IMAGE HERE)
“Willy Wonka is not a father figure! If that’s your idea of a father figure, yikes. Willy Wonka’s a weirdo,” Tim said.
Source: Johnny Depp Movies List
13. Tim is sad that the media portrays him as a weirdo
He’s said multiple times that he’s a cheery and happy person, and we believe it!
14. Tim and Johnny Depp’s professional and personal relationship is more than important to them.
They say they want to work together for the rest of their lives.
Source: Depp Impact
15. While he was at Disney, his first movie that he ever worked on with the company was The Fox and the Hound!
Source: New York Times
16. He had a hard time working on Batman Returns because the live penguins that were being used were the stars of the show!
Tim said that working on Batman Returns was difficult because the live penguins were the biggest divas on set!