Just when you thought that we live in a bizarre age, let me tell you that you might be wrong. The bizarre age is in the past, although some would argue something terrible is going on to the new generations. Well, if you try to compare a selfie stick and a tablet to a nuclear test, which one is more bizarre? If I haven’t convinced you yet, take a look at the following photos, and you might end up being shocked.
1. This is a photo of the Soviet gym teacher’s parade in Moscow, 1956.
These parades were created by Stalin so as to promote the idea of physical fitness, working, and health.
Source: Reddit | Ambamja
2. A catapult officer is risking his life to save a pilot from a Hellcat fighter plane on the USS Enterprise in 1943.
Source: Reddit | Captionater
Those were the times!
3. Here is Louis Armstrong with his wife Lucille in front of the Sphynx in Egypt, 1961.
It is quite weird, but I assume the music is beyond great.
Source: Reddit | okayyeahbutmaybe
4. A dancer is posing in front of a nuclear arms test in 1950s Nevada.
Look at that mushroom cloud! Apparently, these tests were so common that people just took pictures with them.
Source: Reddit | smorensamm
5. This photo from the 1970s shows a little boy marveling at the size of Andre the Giant.
Source: Reddit | TicaraJoe
6. A picture of 13-year-old Melanie Griffith laying in bed with her pet lion. Bizarre enough?
She said in interviews that her upbringing was indeed unique. Her parents had made a film about big cats in Africa and were convinced by an animal trainer that it was a good idea to live with a lion.
Source: Reddit | HashtagTJ
7. This 1895 photo shows two Armenian women with their rifles before going off to war against the Ottomans.
Source: Reddit | ThatGuyNamedReddit
How bizarre is that?
8. A Rwandan man in 1923 with the Amasunzu hairstyle.
You thought nowadays hairstyles are quirky? This hairstyle was actually worn in as many as 30 different ways, and was a demonstration of elegance and refinement.
Source: Reddit | therap321
9. This Reddit user posted a photo of his grandfather being lifted in the 1950s by his gym buddy David Prowse.
Prowse played Darth Vader in the Star Wars flicks. Cool!
Source: Reddit | SamPhD
10. Here’s the world’s smallest man at the time, Henry Behrens.
The photo was taken on October 26th, 1956 and Behrens was 30 inches tall, dancing with his cat.
Source: Reddit | outroversion
11. A woman pushes her baby in a gas-resistant pram.
Source: Reddit | neenoonee
12. 1920s picture shows a woman wearing a swimming mask that is meant to protect her skin from the sun.
Source: Reddit | Project_Ni
13. In 1961, this cute chimp returned home safely from space.
Pretty proud of himself!
Source: Reddit | Roguecop
14. Here’s one of the many jobs that no longer exist!
Bowling alley pinsetter.
Source: Imgur | epicnesshunter
15. A federal agent inspects a fake lumber truck during the prohibition period after smelling alcohol.
Los Angeles in 1926, hard times for the alcohol lovers.
Source: Reddit | tacchassen
16. Just a bear cub enjoying some honey in a cafe.
Source: Reddit | hanky1979
17. The original Ronald McDonald from 1963.
A bit terrifying, maybe?
Source: Reddit | MindlessJamiroca
18. Testing a bulletproof vest in 1923.
Maybe the worst idea I’ve ever seen.
Source: Reddit | [deleted]
19. A woman gives herself a summery glow with the help of a suntan vending machine.
This was 1949! Wow!
Source: Reddit | ahtisham-ahmed
20. The man who originally modeled as Uncle Sam poses in front of the poster later in life.
The photo was taken in 1970.
Source: Reddit | asdfmonkey101
Here are some current things that some people think are bizarre.