Bikinis and mini-skirts may be a normal thing to wear in the Western world, but the Middle East is a slightly different story. Countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran enforce strict modesty laws on women in keeping with Islamic tradition. Some also forbid any skin showing, except for the face and hands. And while cultures differ and that’s okay, some restrictions apply to pictures, too. How come?
North American advertisement and marketing pictures are full of people wearing revealing clothes. And while that is somehow normal, when these photos are sent to Islamic territories, they need to be changed. It means they will be toned down before they show them to the public. In most cases, religious police in charge of censorship – known as mutaween – just take a big old Sharpie to Mariah’s midriff or Shakira’s shoulders. Nowadays, however, they started to get creative with Photoshop and made great changes.
Here are their best examples. And try not to react when you see J Lo’s censored body.
1. Christina Aguilera – Lotus
2. Mariah Carey’s hairy cat
3. Shakira – Oral Fixation
4. Pool Ad with some clothes on
5. Justin Bieber – totally changed
6. Britney Spears – Oops!…I Did It Again
7. Christina Aguilera – Stripped
8. Lady Gaga – Do What U Want
9. Nirvana – Nevermind
10. Miley Cyrus – That is not great coverage
11. Mariah Carey – Butterfly
12. Britney Spears Greatest Hits: My Prerogative
13. Jennifer Paige – wearing some extra clothes
14. Rihanna’s Perfume Ad In Kuwait
15. Lady Gaga – Artpop
16. Ariana Grande – My Everything
17. Censored Floaties In Saudi Arabia
18. Lady Gaga – The Remix
Actually, that is not so covered!