Let’s face it, cleaning, scrubbing and sweeping is a nightmare. The only thing that’s changed about it since the fifties is that now it’s not only a woman’s nightmare but men’s also.
Cleaning the kitchen is especially boring. Don’t despair though – Homehacks has compiled a list of 28 cleaning hacks that will help you see the chore like… less of a chore? Let’s see.
1. Use an onion to clean your grill grates.
In order to clean the oily grill, simply take one half of a peeled onion and rub it over the grates of your grill. You will be amazed by the results.
2. Coconut oil for shiny cutting boards and other wood
In time the wooden surfaces around the house can get really dull. Here is the solution – rub some coconut oil on the surface with a cloth and make the wooden objects shiny again.
3. Remove coffee stains from mugs with baking soda.
Coffee addicts would understand this – coffee stains can be really annoying. The dish soap sometimes simply isn’t powerful enough to wash off those stains. This will help you. Sprinkle some baking soda and a bit of water on the stains and leave it for ten minutes. Afterwards just scrub the paste off and voila, no more stains.
4. Clean hard-to-wash bottles with rice.
Some bottles can be really annoying and difficult to clean. Next time you clean a bottle add some uncooked rice, dish soap, and water in the bottle and shake away. Fun and clean.
5. Wear chenille socks to dust your hardwoods.
Cleaning your hardwood floors while not cleaning them? Simply walk with chenille socks and collect the dust without being aware that you are actually cleaning. Wash them often and repeat.
6. Use ground coffee in order to eliminate the refrigerator odor.
All the food in the refrigerator can leave an odor that hits you in the face when you open the door. Place freshly ground coffee on a plate and it would do the trick.
7. Scrub cabinet doors with vegetable oil and baking soda.
Make a mixture of vegetable oil and baking soda in order to get rid of gunk build-up on your cabinet doors.
8. Clean glass baking dishes with aluminum foil.
Source: Fine Art America
The glass baking dishes can become really oily with time an therefore difficult to clean. Use some aluminum foil, dishwashing liquid, and water to scrub off the baked-on food off the dishes.
9. Invest in a squeegee to remove pet hair.
Cleaning after your pet can be a really annoying task. Purchase a squeegee and rake it across your carpet to gather and throw away the fur from your pet.
10. Shine up cast-iron pans with sea salt.
The cast-iron skillets are impossible to clean by simply using a dish soap. You should use some sea salt and steel scrubbing pad to get rid of the grease.
11. Get rid of water stains with vinegar.
Even water can leave some stains on your glasses. Rub some vinegar in order to get rid of them.
12. Sanitize your sponge in the microwave.
Simply zapping your sponge in it for 2 minutes every week can do miracles.
13. Shine up your microwave with vinegar.
Here is another one for your microwave. Steam a bowl of vinegar mixed with water for 10 minutes and simply wipe it down afterwards.
14. Clean up an oil spattered stove with more oil.
Source: Thrifty Fun
Fight fire with fire. Scrub off the old oil with a soft cloth and few drops of vegetable oil. Wipe off with a clean cloth.
15. Clear out coffee grounds with a piece of bread.
Clean out the last of the coffee grounds from your coffee grinder by rubbing the bottom of the grinder with a piece of soft bread.
16. Fix burned pots and pans with vinegar and baking soda.
Don’t throw away the burned pot that seems impossible to wash. You would be surprised if you simply fill it with water and two cups of vinegar and bring it to boil. After it is cooled a bit scrub it well.
17. Give your dishwasher a good cleaning with mugs of vinegar.
Fill two mugs with white vinegar and set them in the empty washer right-side-up. Run a normal cycle and you’ll be surprised by the results.
18. Remove grime from your oven with a few simple household products.
Some of the ingredients that you already have in the house can be more useful for cleaning the grease and grime from your oven than some of the expensive products on the market. Simply use baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, lemon and dish soap and stop wasting money.
19. Use a potato to unclog a cheese grater.
The cheese-grater that can be really difficult to wash and clean. So, take a potato and grate it. It will not only force off all of the hardened cheese but it will also clean the properties.
20. Shine your glassware with vinegar.
Call for the magic vinegar again. Rub your glasses with vinegar in order to remove the water stains and make the glasses shiny again.
21. Eliminate germs in your coffee machine.
In order to clean and sanitize your coffee machine fill the chamber with equal parts of vinegar and water. Run the coffee machine and then two more times with water only.
22. Clean your iron with salt.
Warm up the iron first and using a cloth, rub some salt over the burn marks. Wipe the iron with a damp cloth.
23. Sanitize wooden cutting boards
The lemon and salt can make your wooden cutting boards shiny and good as new.
24. Deodorize stinky kitchen towels with baking soda and vinegar.
The kitchen towels sometimes become smelly even after you wash them. But don’t worry. The almighty vinegar can help you with this one too. In order to remove the odor, while washing the towels add some vinegar, baking soda and maybe some essential oils too.
25. Remove stuck-on food from baking trays with lemon.
Take half a lemon and rub it over stainless steel trays in order to remove the grease. Nice and shiny.
26. Unclog your drain with two simple ingredients.
Baking soda, lemon, and water.
27. Clean your blender with one simple switch.
All those ingredients that we put in our blender can create a build up in the nooks and crannies. Fill it with water, some dish soap and run it for few seconds. After that, just rinse it and you will have your clean blender ready to make you the next delicious smoothie.
28. Freshen up your garbage disposal with a wedge of lemon.
Simply using a half wedge of lemon can refresh your garbage disposal.