There are a lot of actors that rose to prominence due to some iconic movies. Michael J. Fox for example, became well known for Back To The Future.
And of course, Jennifer Lawrence and The Hunger Games.
But did you know that a lot of iconic roles in a lot of movies were almost given to other actors? Here are a few such examples of 9 iconic movie roles that were almost given to other actors.
1. Tony Wyzek from “Westside Story” was almost played by Elvis himself
2. Vito from “The Godfather” was almost played by Laurence Olivier
3. Han Solo from “Star Wars” was actually played by Al Pacino
Can you imagine like that? A legendary actor portraying a legendary role? Believe it or not, Christopher Walken was also offered this role.
4. Holly Golightly from “Breakfast At Tiffany’s” was almost played by Marilyn Monroe
The author of the original novella, Truman Capote, thought that she should play the role because the character of the same name was a blonde who reinvented herself.
5. Forrest Gump from “Forrest Gump” was almost played by John Travolta
Can you imagine how different life would be if Travolta had taken the role?
6. Edward Scissorhands was almost played by Tom Cruise
Tom Cruise wasn’t the only one to pass up the role. Jim Carrey and Robert Downey Jr. also turned it down, so it finally went to Johnny Depp, and we’re glad for that.
7. Indiana Jones was almost played by Tom Selleck
Source:Wikipedia Public Domain
This was all during the time of Magnum PI, the show that made Selleck famous. He chose to stick with the bigger role, so we got Harrison Ford as Indiana as well.
8. Danny Zuko from “Grease” was almost played by Henry Winkler
Winkler didn’t want to be typecast after playing the Fonz, but then regretted his decision after the role landed to John Travolta.
9. Jack from “Titanic” was almost played by Matthew McConaughey
I think you’ll agree that DiCaprio was just meant for this role, so maybe just this time it’s not such a bad thing.