If your guilty pleasure is reality television, you probably know Abby and Brittany Hensel. Officially, Abigail Loraine and Brittany Lee Hensel, the Hensel sisters are conjoined dicephalic parapagus twins whose own series Abby & Brittany has been running on TLC since 2012.
Their unique condition was already a subject of significant interest during their childhood and the twins made their way to Oprah, Life and Time Magazine as well as the Discovery Channel. Here are the twenty most fascinating things about Abby and Brittany’s conjoined life.
1. They share a body but they have separate vital organs
Each twin has a separate heart, stomach, spine, lungs and spinal cord.
2. Each twin controls her half of their body
They each operate one of the arms and one of the legs.
Source:The Daily Mail
3. While growing up, learning how to crawl, clap or walk was difficult because they always had to be in sync
4. They have different distinctive walks
Brittany tends to stand and walk on her tip-toes!
5. Their parents rejected the option to separate the twins because it was unlikely both would survive
6. When they turned 16, they were the subject of several documentaries out of which their show later developed
7. Together, they are able to walk, run, swim, drive, ride a bycicle and type
8. To drive, the twins had to take the written and driving test twice, one for each twin
When driving, Abby controls everything on the right of the driver’s seat and Brittany on the left
Source: Delaware Reason
9. Their different personalities are sometimes expressed through their clothes
They get a seamstress to sew different necklines to emphasize their individuality.
10. Abby loves mathematics and Brittany loves writing
11. They went to Bethel University where they both majored in education, graduating in 2012
12. They told the Discovery Channel that they hope to date, get married and have children
13. Although they don’t mind being conjoined, they do hate it when people stare or take pictures without permission
Source:New York Daily News
14. When they were six years old, they appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show!
15. They’re obsessed with playing musical instruments, going bowling and playing volleyball
Source:Capital Bay News
16. They buy two movie tickets when they go to the cinema!
17. One can get sick while the other twin stays healthy!
Brittany has suffered from pneumonia twice while Abby hasn’t had it at all.
Source: Yahoo TV
18. They even get separate birthday cakes
Source:Figure 8 Films
19. They often don’t feel hungry or sleepy at the same time
Source:The Daily Mail
20. Brittany and Abby are primary school teachers with an emphasis on math
They said that they like teaching together because “one can be teaching and one can be monitoring and answering questions.”