Expect the unexpected is the approach you need to adopt when you’re confronted with Anton Gudim’s work. The Russian artist, based in Moscow, draws short, paneled comics full of visual puns and unforeseeable twists and turns. You often need to do a double take to get the gag, and a decent level of understanding of Internet memes and viral sensations is recommended, but not required.
Gudim’s comics are pretty simple, his style neat, and his storytelling concise and to the point without making use of speech bubbles. As for inspiration, the illustrator claims he draws it from his everyday surroundings. “I make notes when I see things and then draw it up later,” he says. “It’s really important to me that the ideas I present and are as simply communicated as possible. I don’t like long comics with lots of speech balloons.”
The situations in the stories start out as completely mundane: riding on a bus, chilling in the pool. And then they take a turn to the bizarre when the artist offers his own unique perspective of the world as he pokes fun at everything, from selfies to loneliness.
Check out this list of some of the funniest Gudim comics, courtesy of 9gag.
1. Showering in summer: the vicious cycle
2. When you get more than you paid for
3. And then I took an arrow to the eye
4. Oh, no, Fido! You’ve broken the fourth wall!
5. When there is nothing behind the layers and layers of makeup
6. A glimpse into the future
7. Looking at the bigger picture
8. Watch where you’re going!
9. ‘Sup? – Nothing much. Just hangin’.
10. Don’t you hate it when you see someone dressed exactly like you?
11. Aww poor twain! Why so sad?
12. The best feeling in the world: stuck in traffic in a smelly bus!
13. Dreams vs. reality
14. The greatest victory is getting out of bed?
15. Rude bubbles
16. All by myself
17. A moment of silence for our brother in the friendzone
18. True story