We already talked about removing dark patches of skin in a different post, but this time, we dedicate all our attention to it’s majesty – lemon juice.
So, you developed dark spots on your face? Worry not, this happens from aging, exposure to harsh chemicals, there are many factors. But don’t pay for expensive and shady procedures to lighten the skin. There’s a natural remedy, doesn’t dry your face and it’s healthy.
What Causes Dark Spots
The common cause of pigmentation or formation of dark spots is the over-secretion of the pigment melanin. Certain skin areas are triggered when they are exposed to the sun’s rays, and they start producing excess melanin thereby causing dark or brown spots. Some other causes of dark spots include pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, vitamin deficiency, intestinal disorders, mineral deficiency, intake of strong medications, menopause and stress.
Aestheticians and beauticians suggest different products for removing and lightening dark spots. But most of the bleaching products available in the medical stores and the chemists contain bleaching agents mixed with lubricants that can damage your skin in the long run. That is why you must try to use natural ingredients and elements for treating dark spots.
[ Read: Homemade Face Packs To Treat Dark Spots ]
Lemon Juice For Dark Spots
What’s amazing about home remedies is that they’re cheap and have no side effects (in most cases). And lemon juice is readily available. It won’t give you results as quick as a bleaching cream, but it is a healthier alternative, and if you’re patient, you’ll see remarkable results in a few weeks.
How Does Lemon Juice Work On Dark Spots?
Lemon juice has bleaching properties and its natural acidity works as an organic bleaching agent. On prolonged use it reduces dark spots. It helps break down the melanin pigmentation and also curbs the over-production of melanin that causes the darkening of the skin. Thanks to the exfoliating properties of lemon juice, even the most stubborn brown spots will begin to fade away.
Lemon juice contains Vitamin C that is scientifically proven to bring down the production of melanin in the body. Citric acid is also one of the 5 Alpha Hydroxy acids that are effective and essential for skin exfoliation.
Just don’t put lemon juice on your skin and immediately walk out in the sun. It will burn your skin.
Here are a few home remedies using lemon juice that you can try:
1. Fresh Lemon And Parsley
- Fresh lemons
- Fresh parsley
- Spray bottle
1. Cleanse the face using warm water and a gentle cleanser to remove all the dirt and makeup from the skin.
2. Rinse well with water.
3. Exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cells by gently blotting the skin with a soft towel and a good quality moisturizer. Exfoliating on a regular basis is a must for removing the dead cellular debris.
4. Add 1 cup of freshly chopped parsley in a teapot with 2 cups of water. Boil for 15 minutes.
5. Strain the infusion of parsley and add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
6. Let the liquid cool and then apply it on the dark spots using a cotton ball.
7. Let it stay for around 30 minutes and then rinse with plain water.
8. Refrigerate the leftover parsley and lemon juice infusion and spray it daily on your face to lighten the brown or dark spots.