Key Lime Pie is an elegant and delicate dessert perfect for holidays or any other occasion. It has a smooth, silky, and sweet filling that makes a great impression everywhere.
The recipes is very easy to prepare, the filling is made with sweetened condensed milk and it requires only few minutes to bake. It is important to let it chill for several hours to set completely.
Though many recipes use whipped cream as topping the classic recipe is made with meringue topping, so feel free to try both versions.
Ella is the one who cooks and photographs these recipes for Home Cooking Adventure. She started this blog in the spring of 2011 to share with everyone her passion for cooking.
“I started to love cooking mostly because home cooked food is fresher, better and healthier. It seems that nowadays it has become a luxury few can afford. Our lives seem overwhelmingly busy and “fast-food” is a common term in this hectic world,” she said in her blog.
So here is what you will need for Key Lime Pie:
- Makes about 8-10 servings
- 7 oz (200g) digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 5 tbsp (70g) butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz -397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 cup (240g) whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (10g) powdered sugar
How To Do It:
- First prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Place the biscuits/graham crackers into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until crumbs form. Transfer the crumbs into a bowl, stir in sugar and melted butter.
- Press the mixture onto the bottom and sides of a 8-9 inch (20-23cm) pie pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and let to cool on a rack for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. In a large bowl whisk egg yolks with lime zest until creamy and light yellow colored. Stir in condensed milk and lime juice until well combined.
- Pour the mixture over the cooled crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let pie cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate for several hours or better overnight.
- Before serving whip the cream until soft peaks form. Incorporate powder sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Place the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with 1M (½ inch-1cm) star tip and decorate the pie. Sprinkle some lime zest on top if desired.
- Keep leftover pie refrigerated.