Her name might not be instantly recognizable, but you have definitely seen Leslie Mann in more than one film or TV show. The 44-year-old actress’ big break came in 1996 when she starred in The Cable Guy alongside Jim Carrey and she has since become a staple of comedy, appearing in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People. See if you knew these 18 facts about the Californian who Elle named as “Hollywood’s queen of comedy”.
1. She met her husband, Judd Apatow, at The Cable Guy’s audition
2. Judd says it was love at first sight; Leslie says she didn’t even notice him!
“Judd was reading Jim Carrey’s part and at the time, I had a crush on Ben Stiller who was the director,” Leslie admits.
3. Filming This Is 40 is one of Leslie’s favorite experiences
During the bedroom scene, Paul Rudd would just fart unexpectedly all the time; the crew hated it but Leslie loved it and completely improvised her character’s angry reaction!
4. Her husband used to call her “Less-lee” and not “Lez-lee”… for the first 18 years
She never bothered to correct him
5. In Knocked Up, Leslie was more than an actor on set: she was on set for the birthing scenes as a “pain advisor” since she had been through the process twice
6. Already as a kid, she was obsessed with acting and knew she wanted to do it for the rest of her life
When she was younger, she used to audition for commercials; the biggest one she landed was for Coca Cola!
7. Leslie said it was tough filming The Other Woman with Nikolaj Coster-Waldeau because every time she had a kissing scene with him, she’d break out in hives
“I kissed him and he’s got that razor stubble and my face turned really red and hurt. So they washed his face because they thought maybe he was using after shave. And we did it again and everywhere he touched me, I came out in hives.”
8. In Knocked Up and This Is 40 Leslie worked with her daughters, Maude and Iriss
9. During the filming of The Cable Guy, Jim Carrey would often tell her she reminded him of a modern Marlene Dietrich
10. She has said her favorite thing to do is just to sit down on the couch with her kids and watch TV shows. Her favorite content? I Love Lucy reruns
11. Leslie and Judd are longtime supporters of the non-profit organization 826LA, which works on encouraging writing skills for disadvantaged youth
12. The acting couple is also involved with the UCLA Rape Treatment Center’s Stuart House, which serves the needs of sexually abused children and their families
13. This Is 40, was based on Judd and Leslie’s life and marriage, with the necessary exaggeration thrown in in large quantities
14. Leslie said there would be no Knocked Up and This Is 40 sequels
Bad news for anyone who loves Debbie and Pete
15. It has been revealed that Leslie went skinny dipping with Cameron and Kate Upton when the trio was filming The Other Woman
16. Leslie loves body swapping. She’s been in two movies as the wife of one of the characters who swapped bodies
She was in The Change-Up with Jason Bateman and then 17 Again with Zac Efron!