People do strange things only to look better and be in shape. Some spend hours at the gym and some let go of dairy products and junk food to lose weight. While many have great results with persistence and dedication, it is sometimes good to be careful not to exaggerate. Meegan Hefford, 25, died tragically in June after overdosing herself with protein. It was later found that she had a rare genetic disorder prevented her from breaking down the mass amounts of protein she was consuming to prepare for a bodybuilding competition, PerthNow reports.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to look great, but in this case, she was totally unaware of the consequences. Meegan had been eating protein-rich foods over the last few months of her life as well as drinking protein shakes and taking vitamin supplements.
The mother-of-two was found unconscious on the floor of her Mandurah, Australia, apartment on June 19th by a real estate agent conducting a regular rental inspection. Alhtough her family rushed her to the hospital, they couldn’t figure out why the woman was losing mass amounts of brain activity. Only two days later, she was pronounced brain dead and diagnosed with urea cycle disorder.
When her family searched her kitchen cabinets, they found several protein supplements and a link between these supplements and her death was immediately established.
Urea Cycle Disorder didn’t allow her body to process the nitrogenous compounds from protein. She had no idea about the damage that the protein was doing to her body.
According to her mother, her daughter had begun to feel strange and was complaining of fatigue this past June.
Meegan’s family has now started a campaign to increase awareness about these supplements. Thanks to this movement, bodybuilders and workout fanatics will one day be able to enjoy a safer environment.
Urea cycle disorder is what you call a silent killer. That’s why people need to share the story as much as possible.