Makeup truly has an incredible transformative power: it can turn you into a completely different person. And to prove just how big of a difference it makes, YouTuber NikkieTutorials decided to make a video applying cosmetics to only one half of her face. Tired of people shaming women for wearing makeup, calling them shallow or insecure, Nikkie showed everyone how dramatically makeup changes your face. And so began what would be known as ‘the power of makeup challenge’.
Some of the best beauty gurus and even celebrities joined in, creating their own versions of the half-face makeup. They wanted to show that makeup can be applied for fun, to boost your confidence, or as a way to express yourself, not just because you don’t like the way you look, or because you’re trying to look pretty for a boy. A lot of makeup artists also started doing before-and-after pictures, while explaining why makeup means so much to them.
Here we have some of the best and most inspiring photos from ‘the power of makeup’ challenge, courtesy of Ranker.
1. This is where it all took off: NikkieTutorials’ original ‘power of makeup’ transformation
2. The two faces of Evelina Forsell
Source: Evelina Forsell/youtube.com
3. Kim Kardashian joined in on the fun, guest starring in one of Nikkie’s videos
4. YunnieRose demonstrates how makeup helps burn victims
Source: Shalom Blac/youtube.com
5. Christen Dominique shows just how much makeup makes your eyes pop
Source: Christen Dominique/youtube.com
6. Embrace your sultry side
#powerofmakeup. • Full face vs completely bare. Always fun doing something like this and showing the changes that makeup actually gives to the human face.. • Also, so glad I’ve got my dark hair back! I can get my pretend @the_native_tiger vibes on again now! • Products are tagged. • @beautyandbanter_ • #makeup #makeupartist #mua #powerofmakeupchallenge #powerbrow #sheffieldmua #makeupbyme #selftaughtmua #ucmademebuyit #unicornlashes #unicorncosmetics #tarte #abh #limecrime #nipandfab
7. PatrickStarrr is proof that the love for cosmetics is not determined by gender
8. This lady went all in and even did half her hair!
9. JazzyMina looking all jazzed up
10. Absolutely beautiful!
#thepowerofmakeup @makeupforeverofficial aqua brow @maccosmetics paint pot in painterly @tartecosmetics tartlette palette @colourpopcosmetics super shock shadow in midnight @newyorkcolorcan liquid liner @smashboxcosmetics photo finish pore minimizing primer @hourglasscosmetics vanish foundation Tarte shape tape concealer @rcmamakeup no-color powder @lorealmakeup voluminous mascara @physiciansformula butter bronzer light @ibybeauty highlight and contour palette @wetnwildbeauty color icon blush in mellow wine @ofracosmetics highlight in rodeo drive @jeffreestarcosmetics liquid lipstick in unicorn blood #powerofmakeupchallenge
11. Chell Hendrix’s Youtube video shows off her amazing transformation
Source: Chell Hendrix/youtube.com
12. Here’s someone who doesn’t let her look define her
“The Power Of Makeup” half faced makeover inspired by @nikkietutorials videos! 🙈 I’m not afraid to go barefaced- yes, I’m naturally blonde, so my eyelashes and brows are basically invisible without makeup or dye… Yes, my skin isn’t flawless and I do get blemishes and have a few light freckles.. But it’s me ☺️ no one is perfect- be happy in the skin you’re in- makeup doesn’t define you! ❤️ #mua #thepowerofmakeup #halfface #wow #beforeandafter #makeover #motd #eotd #falselashes #contour #naked #natural #cakeface #brows #comparison #makeupartist #beauty #blending #blueeyes #barefaced #longlashes #lovetheskinyourein #onfleek #photography #portrait #makeupartistsworldwide
13. 홀리 turned the challenge into a global affair!
14. Mayratouchofglam is very glamorous with a bold red lipstick
15. What a beautiful message!
I’m a just a tad bit late on this band wagon.. but this is my ‘power of makeup’ look I did. I thought it had good meaning to it – makeup does have power in a sense. Some people wear makeup for fun or because it gives them confidence, and others don’t wear it at all – it’s a personal decision. I don’t think I need makeup to look beautiful. I don’t think anyone needs makeup to look beautiful. I wear makeup because it’s something I really enjoy doing for myself and others ☺️ so whether you do wear makeup a lot, a little or if you don’t at all, if you’re happy with yourself in the end, I think that’s all that really matters 👌🏼 ( I filmed this too so like if ya wanna see ittt!! 👍🏼♥️)
16. Christine Di’Amore and her makeup: with or without you
Source: Christine Di’Amore/youtube.com
17. Take a walk on the wild side!
18. Haters gonna hate, shamers gonna shame, but Grav3yardgirl ain’t got time for that!
19. Wearing makeup doesn’t mean that you don’t feel pretty without it
20. This lady talks about hyperpigmentation in her video
21. Wow, those eyes… mesmerizing
22. Terry Makeup Tutorials was up for the challenge!
Source: Terry MakeupTutorials/youtube.com
23. Wielding the power of makeup is bound to make your lips fuller
#Powerofmakeup 🎨 . #fall #motd #motivescosmetics #yesmotives #motivesmaven #instamakeup #vegas_nay #hudabeauty #kyliejenner #melformakeup #dressyourface #makeupjunkie #lorenridinger #nyxcosmetics #tutorial #anastasiabeverlyhills #pumpkin #taylorswift #morphebrushes #morphegirl #morphebabe #sugarpill #gerardcosmetics #auroramakeup #wakeupandmakeup #sunset #autumn