rince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday evening, 20th of June, the Buckingham Palace press service has told the CNN. It was underlined the 96-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II was admitted as a “precautionary measure” in a relation to an infection from a pre-existing condition.
The Prince is being treated at London’s King Edward VII Hospital in Westminster. It was only recently announced that the Greece-born royal will be retiring from attending public events this coming fall.
“Prince Philip is in good spirits and is disappointed to be missing the State Opening of Parliament and Royal Ascot,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement. The Queen gave her annual speech at the opening of Parliament today and is scheduled to attend the Royal Ascot races, a traditional horse derby in Berkshire, later this afternoon.
Prince Philip did attend the first day of Royal Ascot on Tuesday before being admitted to the hospital, donning the mandatory top hat for the event that dates back to 1711.
The appearance is part of a scaled-back schedule for the Prince, who although announced last month that he would be stepping down from public life, is still expected to make appearances at selected events.
Before the announcement was made by the Palace, as it is often the case in such circumstances, speculation about Philip’s health swirled wildly in the British press.
“Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen,” the statement about his retirement read. “Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.”