Taking a good rest and having a good night’s sleep is essential when you are pregnant. However, as the pregnancy progresses you will find it more difficult to sleep and find the right position that’s best and comfortable for you.
If you prefer to sleep on your back while being pregnant, that can be really uncomfortable for you. Also, it is not the best sleeping position for the upcoming months of your pregnancy so you may have to choose other sleeping positions that will provide you with better sleep quality.
So, scroll down and read how can sleeping on the back while pregnant can affect your health, courtesy of Momjunction.
So, can you sleep on your back when you are pregnant?
Even if you always prefer to sleep on your back, while you are pregnant you may want to try lying down on one side. According to most doctors and medical experts, sleeping on your back while being pregnant is not recommended at all. Also, your doctor can recommend sleeping on one side instead of sleeping on your back.
Here are some things to keep in mind, if you are considering whether can you sleep on your back during pregnancy:
- At the beginning of the pregnancy, you could still be able to sleep on your back because you will not be as heavy with your baby yet. But, as you reach your second trimester, the uterus will grow heavier so, it is time to start thinking to change the sleeping position and sleep on your side.
- Once in the 20th week of pregnancy, sleeping on the back is not recommended at all.
- If you sleep on your back while pregnant, the weight of the uterus will press down on the major vein which helps to return the blood from your lower body to your heart. So, this means that this if you lie down in this position you may feel dizzy.
- Also, if you suffer from high levels of blood pressure or diabetes, it could affect some nutrients and oxygen that are delivered to the unborn baby.
- Simply lying down on your back for a shorter period of time will not cause any harm. However, it is a problem if you lie down to sleep on your back.
- But, make sure that you don’t fall asleep whenever you just lie down on your back for few minutes. Maybe your body will adjust itself to a better and different position than being on your back.
- Also, if you find yourself in the morning on your back even though you went asleep on our side, don’t worry. You probably were lying down on your back for only a little amount of time. That won’t cause any harm to your baby or you.