We’ve given you ideas about tattoos countless times in the past, and we’ve also talked about how they’re the best way to turn your body into a creative canvas and fill it out with drawings of stuff that you like or perhaps that shows off your personality.
But, there are several things that you all should consider before getting a tattoo. Quite a bit more than several, actually.
1. You should always know what you want to get
After you get inked and decide that you don’t like it, it’s not like there’s no going back, but it’s getting complicated…
Source: Instagram | @themadisontattoocompany
2. Don’t worry about getting a tattoo that doesn’t have deep meaning to you
Source: Instagram | @csj_dori
3. Make sure you have a good tattoo artist
Do your research. Check reviews, how long they’ve been in the business, their social media accounts (if they have any) and ask to see their previous work. If all is good, then go for it!
Source: Instagram | @massivetattoo
4. Waiting lists
Talented artists tend to have a pretty long waiting list, but if they’re talented, then the wait is worth it.
Source: Instagram | @vithus2809
5. A clean tattoo parlor is also crucial
Try and find out if it’s been health inspected, because you don’t want to mess around with unsterilized needles.
Source: Instagram | @bronsontattoo
6. Getting inked is not cheap
Pay a deposit to make sure your name appears on the waiting list.
Source: Instagram | @celinewyr
7. Tip your artist
Just like you’d tip the waiter at a restaurant. 15% for job well done, 20% if it’s even better.
Source: Instagram | @imagetattoo
8. Consult your artist when thinking of what you should ink
They are the professionals in the situation and they can help you come up with something truly awesome!
Source: Instagram | @donciorek
9. Be specific with your idea
A broad description of what you want can lead to unsatisfactory results.
Source: Instagram | @indeed
10. Don’t bring your friends to keep you calm
Source: Instagram | @shelbysbarbergang
11. Because multiple people distract the artist
If you’re bringing just one person, ask if it’s okay, but other than that, focus on breathing, read a book or listen to music while the artist does their thing.
Source: Instagram | @tailormadetattoo
12. Do not drink alcohol at least 24 hours before going
It thins the blood and makes the healing process very difficult and all that hard work could be ruined.
Source: Instagram | @curtis_housecct
13. Make sure you’re sober before getting a tattoo
Source: Instagram | @oldeforce
14. Consider drinking lots of water and having a good meal before you get your tattoo
Source: Instagram | @suhailah_asfur
15. Make sure you have a lot of time
Some more intricate tattoos can take several hours, so make the appointment on a day off at work or at the weekend.
Source: Instagram | @psychollama_art
I’m sure you know this, but getting a tattoo can hurt. Depends on your skin tolerance and where you get the tattoo.
Source: Instagram | @basilbalaji3
17. The areas with less fat with more nerves tend to hurt more
Like, the ankle for example. Take deep breaths, and after 15 minutes or so, the pain should gradually ease off.
Source: Instagram | @tattooist_ida
18. Be careful with the inflammatory medicine you take
Advil helps out for some people, but Aspirin thins the blood so it’s not recommended.
Source: Instagram | @zsuzska_kalman
19. Do your research for numbing gel
It may work, but it might also cause ink bleeding which gets rid of the sharp lines on a tattoo.
Source: Instagram | @watsonhanna
20. Red ink tends to fade faster
And white tends to turn yellow overtime.
Source: Instagram | @shea_loveink
21. Crisp lines of tiny tattoos will make them bleed faster
Source: Instagram | @fine.line.tattoos
22. Don’t be afraid to speak up
Regarding the location or size of the tattoo, because it can be too late.
Source: Instagram | @simplyfoxy82
23. Tattooing a scar is a little bit complicated
Make sure the scar is several years old, and it can also absorb the ink entirely which could lead to you coming back for touch-ups.
Source: Instagram | @cassiepops
24. Consider the placement once more
Some people want to get tattoos that can be easily hidden, so if your work doesn’t allow tattoos, you might want to get one that can be easily hidden with your clothes.
Source: Instagram | @cuzkia_saidso
25. Don’t get someone’s name tattooed on you
Because, remember, the tattoo is permanent but that person might not be.
Source: Instagram | @andreamontejo_
26. Plan your life around the tat for the next couple of weeks
Source: Instagram | @kima.xx
27. Don’t book any vacations that involve a lot of swimming
Keep the tattoo as far away from water and the sun as possible.
Source: Instagram | @lularoelesliemays
28. Hygiene is also a crucial part
Source: Instagram | @axst_tattoos
29. It’s going to itch, but you’ll ruin it if you scratch it
Source: Instagram | @momi.nk
30. Don’t freak out after getting your tattoo
It might take a while for you to adjust.