Highlighters are face makeup products that are used to attract light. When we use highlighters, we create a bright makeup look, we make sure to enhance the features of the face we want to bring forward. Highlighter makes people have an overall shimmery appearance, however, it also depends on the amount of highlighter you use and the type of highlighter you choose to purchase. Since there are different types of highlighters, different forms, and tones, you have to make sure to choose the one you think best matches your skin type and your preferences.
According to HuffPost, when shopping for highlighters, there’s this one thing you should keep in mind. Think about the gold versus the silver jewelry test. For example, if you’re more fond of gold jewelry, then choose the highlighters that have golden, bronze, or copper shades. If you prefer silver jewelry, on the other hand, choose the highlighters that have silver or pale pink shades. This is just one of the ways that can help you choose the highlighter you’ll feel comfortable adding to your makeup look.
Scroll below for the different types of highlighters, the ways you can use highlighters, some of the best highlighters you can purchase (+ drugstore highlighters), and the different types of highlighter brushes.
Types Of Highlighters
Highlighters, just like any other product in the beauty industry, vary from one another. Meaning there are different types of highlighters you can use, some of which we will list below.
1. Liquid Highlighter: They are the most versatile types of highlighters.
2. Powder Highlighter: In powder highlighter form you can find the most universal shade, with it being: the golden peachy highlight. The best way to apply these highlighters is using a lighter hand because they are full of color.
3. Solid Stick Highlighter: These types of highlighters are perfect for getting the most advantage of the light. The best thing about these highlighters is that they can reach the tiny areas of your face, such as the cupid’s bow, or the inner corner of the eye.
4. Potted Highlighter: These are the perfect type of highlighters to use if you do not wear lots of other makeup. They press light into the skin without a base color.
How To Use Highlighter
When it comes to using highlighter, it’s important to note that this product can be used in multiple ways. As to how and where people use highlighter, that’s all according to preference. However, some of the ways you can use highlighters are:
1. Apple of the cheek: If you want a glowy skin, you can apply highlighter in the center of the cheek over blush.
2. The inner corner of the eye: Put a bit of highlighter in the inner corners of your eyes in order to brighten up a dark area.
3. Cheekbones: If you’re willing to define your cheekbones, add highlighter in a diagonal line from beneath the center of your eye and blend towards your hairline.
4. Beneath the arch of your eyebrows: This will make your eyes appear more awake as well as define the shape of your eyebrows, according to L’Oréal Paris.
5. Above the arch of your eyebrows: This one will have an overall same effect as applying highlighter beneath the arch of the eyebrows.
6. Above cupid’s bow: When you want to put attention to your lips, simply add a bit of highlighter to your cupid’s bow.
7. Bridge of your nose: If you want to contour your nose, add highlighter in the bridge of your nose and then blend foundation that is a shade or two darker than your natural skin tone.
8. Forehead center: To create a more contoured look, apply some highlighter to the center of your forehead.
For more on how to use highlighters, head over to our article on How To Use Highlighter: Where To Apply It & Different Types Of Highlighter.
Some Of The Best Highlighters
1. Stila Heaven’s Hue Highlighter: £29, Feel Unique
According to Independent, this highlighter has a heavenly finish. It has a unique cushion formula as well as the perfect balance between powder and cream. It can be applied with your fingertips due to its texture. It isn’t too glittery, however, it has light-diffusing particles that help to enhance the shimmer.
Get it here.
2. Fenty Beauty Killawatt Freestyle Highlighter Duo: £26, Harvey Nichols
This highlighter is absolutely amazing. It has pink hues and the consistency is rich and creamy. It’s paler color has a more muted shimmer, and the overall look this highlighter gives you a lasting effect and a gorgeous finish result.
Get it here.
3. SEPHORA COLLECTION Golden Hour Luminizing Powder, $16 at Sephora
If you have dry skin, then this one has proved to be a good choice. Although it’s a powder highlighter, it’s illuminated with a slight sheen and silky texture that won’t stick to parched areas, according to The Cut. This pink powder not only looks good but also feels good on the skin, and it has an overall and immediate brightening effect.
Get it here.
For more on some of the best highlighters, head over to our article on Some Of The Best Highlighters You Can Purchase For A Glowy Makeup Look.
Some Of The Best Drugstore Highlighters
1. Maybelline FaceStudio Master Chrome Metallic Highlighter, $10
This one is perfect if you are particularly fond of a metallic touch. Not only it’s merely $10, but it’s also quite pigmented. The highlighter is available in both gold and rose gold shades.
2. Wet n Wild MegaGlo Highlighting Palette, $15
This highlighting palette is known to be famous among celebrities as well as makeup artists. It has four separate shades, so it’s up to you to choose whether or not you want to wear them separately or blend them.
3. L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator, $13
According to the product description, this liquid highlighter is made to highlight key features or all-over. It’s designed in Golden, Rose and Ice shades that are a good match for every skin tone.
For more on some of the best drugstore highlighters you can use, head over to our article on Drugstore Highlighters: 10 Of The Best Drugstore Highlighters.
Best Highlighter Brush
While one can’t say with certainty as to which highlighter brush is the best highlighter brush since it all depends on the type of highlighter you’re using or the amount of highlighter you want to apply to your look. Bustle has listed four types of highlighter brushes you can use, and they are as follows:
1. Fan Brush: These ones allow you to start small and then if you want to apply more, you can easily do so.
2. Small Highlighting/Blush Brush: These ones give you the possibility of applying a lot of highlighter in the first application.
3. Eyeshadow Brush: The eyeshadow brush can be used when you want to reach the areas you usually can’t with a bigger brush, such as the cupid’s bow or the inner corner of the eye.
4. Stippling Brush: When using powder highlighter, these brushes won’t pick up much of the product, meaning the application will be sheerer. However, when talking about liquid or cream highlighter, the application will turn out to be medium instead of sheer.
For more on highlighter brushes, you can choose and purchase, head over to our article on Best Highlighter Brush: The Different Types Of Highlighter Brushes.