Not only is photography a way of artistic expression, but also a way to capture the everyday moments in our lives that we will look back at in a few years and will cherish forever. It allows for a person to share a unique moment from a faraway place with people who would never have gotten the chance to see it otherwise.
It can be used to spread awareness, for political reasons, and, for the photographer at least, to see the world in a different way. After all, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Other than that, a photograph is a way to get a glimpse into a time that’s long gone. We can see how the world looked a hundred years ago, what people wore, how they acted. We can witness important historical moments, and see how the things and places we’ve learned about in history class actually looked like.
So, scroll down to see a list of historical pictures which will give you a little glimpse into the past:
1. Salvador Dali out for a walk with his anteaters, Paris, 1969
2. Kids play in the ruins after the D-Day Invasion in Normandy, France, 1947
3. Nuclear weapon test on Enewetak Atoll, November, 1952
4. A picturesque Swiss village, Grindelwald, 1900
5. Che Guevara with his second wife Aleida March ride in a US-made car on their wedding day, Havana, 1959
6. A foot guard passed out while Queen Elizabeth II rode past during a parade, June 1970
7. Switch operator posing by the Trans-Siberian Railroad, Russian Empire, 1910
8. Mohammed Alim Khan, the last direct descendant of Genghis Khan, the first Great Khan of the Mongol Empire, 1911
9. Walt Disney showing a picture of Mickey Mouse to his cat, 1931
10. Adolf Hitler meeting King Prajadhipok of Thailand, 1934
11. A French woman pours a hot cup of tea for a British soldier fighting in Normandy, 1944
12. A colorized image of a soldier from New Zealand resting and smoking a pipe in the deserts of North Africa, 1942
13. Stonehenge, pictured in 1897
14. A lama riding in a taxi in New York City, 1957
15. Mark Twain in Nicola Tesla’s lab (the two were actually good friends)