The popular American reality TV show Jersey Shore aired on MTV for five seasons between 2009 and 2012. During that time, it became both super-popular and extremely controversial. If you are a fan of the show there is some great news for you: MTV has announced its reunion! The upcoming series is called Jersey Shore Family Vacation and it is set to air in 2018.
While waiting for the new reunion series, here are some secrets that happened behind the scenes at The Shore, courtesy of Providr.
1. According to Snooki, filming Jersey Shore was like “being in jail”
In order to interact more, the participants couldn’t watch TV, listen to music or read. “It’s because there’s nothing else to do! It passes the time and makes it fun,” Snooki disclosed for V magazine “If you’re sober the whole time, you will go insane and kill yourself.”
2. The cast was forbidden to write notes to each other
The rules were so strict that the producers didn’t allow the cast to communicate or exchange messages off camera.
3. In order to use the duck phone, they weren’t allowed to use regular phones
Can you imagine having only one private phone call per week? The cast of the show had the right for that one call during filming.
4. The duck phone was found randomly in a thrift shop called ‘Don Found It’ in Toms River, New Jersey
5. The show’s producer, SallyAnn Salsano, was close with the members of the cast and their families
For instance, Snooki’s father constantly called her to check up on his daughter, according to her.
6. After a visit to the house, a journalist from the Hollywood Reporter said that he was “startled” by the brightness of it.
Also, he revealed that it was like a sound-stage and that the windows were fake.
7. There actually wasn’t a Jacuzzi on the rooftop deck of Jersey Shore house
The Jacuzzi was on a rooftop deck of the T-shirt shop that the cast worked at.
8. The Italian flag door was inspired by one of the beach houses the producer SallyAnn Salsano stayed at
A post shared by Deena (@deenanicolemtv) on
9. In order to enter the Shore store you had to sign a release form
Besides waiting in a huge line, one had to be 18 and present an ID. Also, taking pictures inside the T-shirt store was not allowed.
10. Originally, the idea was for the show to be a competition about who could live the most ‘Guido’ lifestyle
Salsano disclosed in an interview that she felt following of the cast on camera would be enough to achieve this.
11. How much did the cast earn?
For Season 1 they were, allegedly, paid a few hundred dollars per episode. After becoming a hit, the cast was paid 10.000 dollars per episode during the second season.
12. By the end of the show, the cast members were making around 100.000 per episode
Also, even though unconfirmed, Perez Hilton claims that Snooki, The Situation, and Pauly D were earning the most, at about 150.000 dollars per episode.
13. The second season of the show almost had a different cast
According to the New York Post, although some finalists were already selected for the second season, the producers ultimately decided to stick with the original cast.
14. Before leaving the house, cast members had to give the producers an hour’s notice
Snooki told V magazine that if they would walk out of the house they had to have a camera crew with them.
15. SallyAnn Salsano lived in an apartment above the Jersey Shore house
Not wanting to take her eyes off of the cast, she also kept a 14-camera feed in her living room. Maybe she took the job way too seriously?
16. The producers had to film in Seaside Heights
There weren’t different options since it was the only place in the state of New Jersey that MTV was allowed to film in.
17. The more famous the show became, the more difficult filming was
The paparazzi and fans of the show were constantly behind the police barricades.
18. The eight final candidates were chosen only a day before the filming
Source: Jessica Tedesco |
19. According to a casting director, they wanted to cast Snooki right away
20. Deena Cortese had auditioned for season one and made it to the final twelve
When her grandmother became ill, she had to back out.
21. Snooki and Deena were already friends
They have spent two summers together before being cast for the show.
22. The police officers in the season four were actually a private security escort from the show
In the episode where Snooki got in an accident with the Italian police, the officers had to be taken to a hospital, but they were fine in the end.
23. While the cast was filming in Italy, MTV arranged another season with their agents
At the time, the stars had no contact with the outside world.