We are leaving 2017 behind us and if we are honest, there were a lot of bad news in the headlines. People tend to focus on the bad things that are happening and forget all about the good ones, those that make you believe that there is hope for humanity after all. However, one man is here to remind us of all the great things we accomplished this past year.
Jacob Atkins from Waverly, Iowa decided to highlight the positive things that happened in 2017. He was bored of all the negative news stories and compiled a list of positive ones most of us haven’t read or heard about. The news he decided to share will certainly warm your heart and make you feel better about the future. His Twitter post has over 236K likes and has been shared over 177K times.
It’s time to bring some positivity into our lives. Here are the stories, courtesy of 9gag.
1. Scientists have found a way to successfully rebreed sections of the Great Barrier Reef.
2. The snow leopard has been taken off the endangered species list
3. HIV/AIDS is no longer the leading cause of death in Africa
4. Honeybee populations have increased by 27%
Researchers have also found an insecticide that doesn’t kill bees.
5. A shoe company in Argentina makes shoes from recycled tires and employs only women from rural areas
6. Conservationists agreed to plant 73 million trees over the next 6 years in the Amazon rainforest
New Zealand’s next prime minister wants to plant 100 million trees next year!
7. Even though it doesn’t seem like it, crime has decreased by 2.7% this year
8. At the end of the 1st quarter of college football games, the University of Iowa fans stand and wave to the kids in the children’s hospital across the street
How amazing is that snow leopards are no longer considered an endangered species?