It’s never too late to start working on the environment, to start making the world we live in a better place not only for humans but every creature that lives alongside us. Nature is one of the most wonderful things we have been given and it fights every day to keep us existing. That’s why we should also fight, equally, to keep nature as safe as possible and not let it carry the weight of our carelessness.
Research has suggested that we generate about 21.5 million tons of food waste each year. That is to say, in case we composted that food – we would reduce the same amount of greenhouse gas as we would by taking 2 million cars off the roads. Oh, and in an article about waste, it was concluded that humans buy around a million plastic bottles a minute. Since most of the plastic ends up in the ocean, by the year 2015 the ocean might contain more plastic by weight than it does fish. Terrifying.
Scroll below and you’ll see a number of things that people have thought about that are both practical and reduce waste. Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
1. This guy made a fence from random doors.
2. “My tour guide’s tool for picking up littered bottles along the trail.”
3. Sometimes, the necessary means need to be taken.
4. “My mom’s husband is a pilot so he wraps all his gifts in old flight maps.”
5. “We detrashed a lake in Texas! 4,000 pounds of beer bottles and beer cans. With about 30 scuba divers and 4 boats. Did it in about 4 hours.”
6. “Didn’t want to waste the failed films so I turned them into little paintings.”
7. “Turning Christmas cards into tags for next year.”
8. “My pantry after harvest season is finally over.”
9. “My mom is slowly knitting a scarf made completely from tea bag strings.”
10. These stuffed whales are made from old jeans.
11. “My old music used as wrapping paper!”
12. “Make a baby dress out of an old button-up shirt!”
13. “Had a friend complain about straw bans saying that they’re not even a real litter/marine debris issue. So I did a quick 10 minute sweep of 300ft of shoreline to prove them wrong.”
14. “I hadn’t used my reusable bags because I’m pretty socially anxious and was worried about the cashier being frustrated/ it being a big deal. But used this for the first time today!”
15. “Needed an organizer so I made one out of cardboard instead of purchasing one.”
16. “Got my first sewing machine for Christmas, made “unpaper” towels to reduce our paper towel waste. They clasp together so it is easy to know which are clean.”
Any thoughts or additions of your own to the list? Let us know in the comments section below.
You might also be interested in: The Nespresso-Based Jewelry From Recycled Coffee Pods Is Definitely One-Of-A-Kind.