Student Passes Away From Food Poisoning After Eating Leftover Pasta That Was Five Days Old

From time to time, with life being so hectic, we don’t have time in our hands to prepare day after day fresh meals for us to eat. In these cases, instead, we eat the leftovers from the previous day or days. The fact that we leave them in the fridge gives us comfort thinking that nothing has happened to the food and we are safe to eat it. But, it turns out that, in fact, you should be very cautious to the kind of food you consume, especially when days have passed and you still have meals in the fridge waiting for you. You better eat a fast sandwich, than leftovers that have been there for days.

The tragic thing that has happened to this young student will for sure raise awareness for all of us. The student sadly lost his life as a consequence of eating a bowl of pasta that he had made almost a week earlier.

Source: Chubbyemu

We all know how being a student seeks a lot of responsibilities and sometimes you even forget to eat from all the stress. So, this 20-year-old was the victim of leftovers which lead him to his death by eating an old portion of spaghetti that he had cooked five days previously, however, his roommate put the meal in the fridge for another three days.

AJ, the student we are talking about, put the bowl of the pasta in the microwave only to heat it up and eat it for lunch. But, what slipped the student’s mind was that the food was five days old.

The symptoms that AJ got after eating the leftovers were headaches, abdominal pain, and nausea.

As food poisoning kicks in after some hours you have eaten something that triggers your body, AJ started to throw up, however, he simply thought it is food poisoning so he drank a lot of water. After that, he had some medicine and went to bed. Unfortunately, things didn’t get better and he woke up later in the night in a pool of sweat and went to the bathroom being sick.

After AJ’s roommate noticed the condition of his friend who had passed out on the bathroom floor, he immediately called for an ambulance but, luck wasn’t on AJ’s side so he sadly died.

A post mortem found that he had, in fact, died from a form of food poisoning caused by Bacillus cereus – a spore-forming bacteria which creates toxins and can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

What made matters worse was that the medication that AJ took reacted badly in his body and damaged his liver which was already failing due to the bacteria created by the pasta he had eaten.

Credit: Youtube/Chubbyemu

AJ died in 2008 according to reports and the case was featured in the US Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

According to Dr. Bernand who is a licensed practitioner claimed that these cases are not very common although cases have been written in the past of patients who have passed away ‘within hours.’

It is important to note that this is not a typical food poisoning case. Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they’re fine. But be careful of food left out for more than a few hours. If the food smells funny, it’s always better to be safe than sorry

 

 

 

 

 

Source: Ladbible